TFRN Mission Statement
TRFN Mission Statement
The Task Force on Reactive Nitrogen has the long-term goal of developing technical and scientific information, and options which can be used for strategy development across the UNECE to encourage coordination of air pollution policies on nitrogen in the context of the nitrogen cycle and which may be used by other bodies outside the Convention in consideration of other control measures.
Functions of the TRFN
- To plan and conduct, in collaboration with subsidiary bodies under the Convention, the technical work necessary to develop a better understanding of the integrated, multi-pollutant nature of reactive nitrogen, particularly in relation to air pollution in context of the nitrogen cycle for consideration in the work of the Working Group on Strategy and Review;
- To plan and conduct, in collaboration with subsidiary bodies under the Convention, the technical work necessary to assess emissions, transport, budgets, fluxes and effects of nitrogen for submission to the Working Group on Strategies and Review;
- To consider, in collaboration with subsidiary bodies under the Convention, how the work of the Task Force would complement the work of the subsidiary bodies of the Convention, in particular the Task Force on Integrated Assessment Modelling, the Task Force on Emission Inventories and Projections and the Task Force on Modelling and Mapping, as well as that of other international bodies. The Task Force on Reactive Nitrogen should make maximum use of such considerations to foster an understanding of, and make best use of, the synergies;
- To continue, as necessary, the work of the former Expert Group on Ammonia Abatement on regular updating of the Guidance document on control techniques and the Framework advisory code on good agricultural practice, and to contribute to the improvements of the methodologies on the emission inventories and other activities as required;
- To carry out such other tasks related to the above work as the Executive Body may assign to it in the annual workplan.