TFRN-5 & Workshop on "Costs of ammonia abatement and the climate co-benefits"
This expert workshop, organised under the UNECE TFRN, and taking place on October 25th & 26th, 2010 in Paris, focuses on costs of ammonia abatement measures primarily in the agricultural sector. The workshop will deliver a contribution to the revision of the UNECE Gothenburg Protocol. In addition to abatement costs, experts will examine co-benefits of measures in agriculture to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the same time.
The workshop has reported its conclusions to the 5th meeting of the UNECE Task Force on Reactive Nitrogen (TFRN), which washeld back-to-back with the workshop on October 27th, 2010.
Presentations from the meeting can be found here.
For more information on the preparation of the workshop publication, a book to be published by Springer publishers in 2011, please check here.
Background documents for workshop parallel sessions and topics
- Introduction - Economic cost of nitrogen management in agriculture (Oene Oenema)
- Current cost estimates used in GAINS per unit of NH3 reduction (Mark Sutton, Zig Klimont, Wilfried Winiwarter)
- Overview of current approaches in GAINS for estimating European wide NH3 mitigation costs (Zig Klimont, Wilfried Winiwarter)
- Costs of NH3 mitigation from land spreading (J Webb)
- Costs of NH3 mitigation from housing systems (Carlos Piniero)
- Costs of low-N feeding strategies (Ad van Vuuren & Oene Oenema)
- Manure storage systems (Shabtai Bitmann)
- Potential for co-benefits with measures to reduce GHG emissions **Please note that this is an early and incomplete draft, we post this now to aid further discussion at the meeting** (Dominic Moran)
Further supplementary background documents:
- Influence of measures for the control of ammonia emissions in the profitability of pig farms in Spain
- Latest version of the Guidance document for preventing and abating ammonia emissions from agricultural sources (informal document to WGSR-47)
- 2009 Review on Ammonia from Manure Spreading (J Webb)
- Report of WGSR-47 (Reactive Nitrogen issues are discussed from bottom of page 5)
- AMMONIA EMISSION ABATEMENT MEASURES: Unit Cost of Measures for Agriculture (2002) [Martin Ryan]
- Overview document reporting to TFRN-5 on overall cost estimates and potential climate co-benefits of NH3 mitigation
- Report of TFRN-5 to WGSR as a contribution to supporting the revision of the Gothenburg Protocol
- Contribution to updating the Guidance Document for the Control of Ammonia Emissions of the GB Protocol
- Working group synthesis reports and summary (5-6 pages, incl. 0.5-1 page executive summary each)
- Published book with workshop proceedings